The Department of Planning prepares development and local plans for the environmental, economic and social needs of Bermuda to ensure that development is accommodated in a sustainable way. It manages the development of land to ensure optimal use while conserving important flora, fauna and natural habitats. The Department determines planning and building permit applications, ensures building operations are carried out in compliance with current building codes, and enforces planning policy and regulations to ensure the welfare of the community.
What do they do?
The public consultation period for the Draft Bermuda Plan 2018 ended on Friday, 15th March 2019. Thank you to those of you who provided comments on the Draft Plan.
The objections are available for viewing on the Citizen Self Service portal.
Members of the public can submit counter objections to any objection. Counter objections should be submitted online via the Citizen Self Service portal. Counter objections will be accepted for one month following closure of the public consultation period until 15th April 2019.
Please contact the Department of Planning if you have any queries.
There are four main sections in the Department of Planning:
- Forward Planning
- Development Management
- Building Control
Responsibly serving the people of Bermuda to ensure the sustainable management of the natural and built environment
The main responsibilities of the Department of Planning are defined in the Development and Planning Act 1974 and the Building Act 1988 and include:
- Preparation of development and local plans;
- Management of development and protection of the environment;
- Monitoring and enforcement of development regulations;
- Management of building activity through a building permit system; and
- Enforcement of the relevant building codes.
The Department’s key objectives are to:
- Plan for the environmental, heritage, economic and social needs of Bermuda by ensuring a balance between development and conservation in a sustainable way;
- Provide excellent customer service by serving applicants, stakeholders and consultees promptly in a professional, helpful, courteous and responsive manner;
- Implement planning and building policies, standards and regulations transparently, consistently and equitably to ensure the welfare of the community;
- Prepare up-to-date land use plans and planning policy guidance;
- Assess planning applications for development and subdivision in a timely and efficient manner in accordance with sound land use planning principles, legislation and development/local plan policies;
- Review building permit applications in a timely, thorough and competent manner and in compliance with the current building codes and regulations for the health, safety and welfare of the community;
- Provide a prompt, helpful and effective building operations inspection service to ensure the safety of structures;
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding unauthorised development promptly and effectively;
- Provide an efficient and accurate planning search service for prospective purchasers of land and buildings; and
- Engage with the public on planning and building matters through provision of information, community outreach and awareness.