Get a British Overseas Territory passport

Government Notice: Please be advised that the Department of Immigration is currently undertaking a project to improve our processes and services to the public. Some of the benefits that this project will deliver includes faster application turnaround time along with an improve customer communication channel. With this in mind, we crave your understanding and patience as we work to provide a first-class immigration service.

Get a British Overseas Territory Passport

How to apply

In order to make application for British Overseas Territory Passport the following steps must be taken:

  1. Visit the department of immigration website:
  2. Identify the  application of interest  then select from list of processes
  3. Download the Application Form
  4. Print the application form and complete the application form with black (for passport applications single sided paper and black ink only). Obtain all required documents based on notes checklist.
  5. Make online payment to the HSBC bank Account to include description
  6. Submit the application and all required documents in the Immigration Drop Box on the First Floor of the Government Administration Building with copy of online payment Confirmation.
  7. A member of the ImmigrationTeam will contact each applicant to advise if items are missing by email, once all items are submitted and the Application is deemed complete the applicant will be duly advised along with the expected timelines.

After review of the appropriate section please direct all queries to:

Who can get a British Overseas Territory Passport?

You must provide enough evidence to satisfy the Passport Officer of your identity and claim to hold a British Overseas Territories passport. It will help your application by submitting as much evidence as you can. For adults, documents from the following list should be presented in support of your passport application.  Unless otherwise stated, original documents are always required and will be returned after examination.  Photocopies and laminated documents are not accepted. An email address is required for all Applicants submitting a passport.

First time applicants

First-time adult (18+ years of age) British Overseas Territory passport applicants must submit their passport application themselves by attending the Bermuda Passport Office; a third party is not permitted to submit an application on behalf of a first-time adult passport applicant. As such this category will be contacted after vetting for appointments to submit their application in person.

Required Documents

  1. An Completed Application Sections 1,2,3(any passports) 4, 5 (if Naturalized), 6 (Ages 12-15), 8, 9(Parent or age 16 and over) & 10  and countersigned, together with two passport-sized photographs (one should be properly endorsed by the person countersigning the passport application form).

Applicants born after 31 December 1982

1. Original Long Form birth certificate (no other is acceptable)

3. Original Marriage Certificate (If applicable)

4. Original Divorce Decree Absolute (If Applicable)

If divorced more than once all divorces are required

If the current passport has the latest married just the latest divorce is required

If entitled through a father must have parent’s original Marriage Certificate

Please note other information may be required to establish the entitlement of a passport for an applicant and may be requested from the Department at anytime in the application process.

Identity documents

If not born in the country from which you are applying, the passport that you used to travel to that country (permanent residence certificate or naturalisation certificate for that country would also be considered);

Certified copy of photo identification

Parental documents

The following are needed if you were born on or after 1 January 1983:

Evidence of how parent became a British Overseas Territory citizen: e.g. original full birth certificate or original

Full, unabridged marriage certificate (must show marital status, e.g. bachelor and spinster)

If either parent has married before, divorce document or death certificate from previous partner

You may be asked to provide further documentation if necessary.

All names must match all for all documents and be in the same order. Take for example a marriage Certificate must reflect the same name as a Birth certificate.

Renewal Adult Passport Applications

Provided the passport to be extended is submitted with the application supporting documents will not be required.

Section 10 Counter signatory is no longer a requirement for renewal of Adult Passport applications.

Child’s Passport Under the age of 16

Section 6 To be signed by Children from age 12 to 15

Section 9 to be completed by the parent or legal guardian of the child under the age of 16. For legal guardian the letter of court custody document is required to process the application for the passport.

Note:  Children turning 12 in two weeks or less must sign this section.

Children turning 16 in two weeks or less must submit an application for an adult passport application.

Emergency Passports

For emergency Medical Emergencies call the Department of Immigration 295-5151 extension 1941/1455/ 1385 or email

In additional to the normal application process a signed letter from a physician or medical Professional must be submitted with the request confirming the medical situation.

Confirmation of Emergencies must be made with the Department of Immigration prior to submitting the application.

Lost or stolen passports 

Lost and stolen form to be completed in addition to the passport application with all steps completed from the how to submit the passport application.

Lost or stolen passports must be reported to the police immediately.

Original documents (refer to notes) must be submitted for first time applicants, lost or stolen and name changes. Each application will be assessed in its own merit and may require further

Name Changes

If you or your child now use a different name to the one on your birth certificate, please present an official name change document from the relevant government department (or deed poll) 

If the name change is through marriage, please present your original marriage certificate

If you have married more than once, all relevant divorce, death and marriage certificates should be provided

All foreign passports must be updated with the name change prior to submission of this type of request to the Department of Immigration and a color copy provided with the new application.


The following fees apply for the British Overseas Territories Citizen (BOTC) passport:

Issuing a standard size passport to a British Overseas Territories Citizen to—an adult 

a child (under the age of 16 years)




Issuing a temporary passport of restricted validity to a British Overseas Territories Citizen (processing time is 8 working days) 


Providing express passport service for a temporary passport (within 1 to 7 days) to a British Overseas Territories Citizen (fee is refundable only if deadline of less than 8 working days is not met)


Applying for British Naturalisation as a British Overseas Territoties Citizen


Applying for registration as a British Overseas Territories Citizen where the application is made in conjunction with an application for Bermudian Status


The application fee is not refundable should the application be refused or withdrawn. When satisfactory documentation has been produced and enquiries completed, the applicant may be interviewed by the Passport Officer.

After review of the appropriate section please direct all queries to: