• The Department of Public transportation has advised that the DPT Kiosk at Central Terminal in Hamilton will be closed all day on Sunday, February 25th due to construction work being carried out on the building. 


  • The Ministry of Health is seeking your views on the proposed Sugar Tax and changes to the Mental Health Act. You will find the consultation documents and online feedback forms here.

Objecting to the Annual Rental Value

When can I object to my ARV if I am unhappy?

  • There are three opportunities when you can make an objection to your ARV:
    1. The Draft Valuation List (six months following deposit of the draft valuation list);
    2. A proposal to amend the Draft Valuation List (the latter date of the six month draft list objection period or 28 days after the date of the proposal); or
    3. A proposal to amend the confirmed Valuation List (28 days after the date of the proposal).

How much does it cost to make an objection if I disagree with my ARV following the receipt of a proposal to amend the Valuation List? 

  • Nothing, it is free. The Land Valuation and Tax (Objection and Appeals) Rules 1967 safeguards the right of taxpayers to lodge objections without incurring the penalty of paying a fee upfront. This is unlike many other Government Appeal fees which are payable at the time the appeal/objection is made.

What do I have to do if I want my objection to be heard by the Land Valuation Appeal Tribunal? 

  • The Land Valuation Appeal Tribunal is the final step if a mutually acceptable agreement cannot be found through the objection discussion process with the Department. You simply need to inform the Department that you wish for the objection to be heard by the Tribunal. 

How much does it cost to have an objection heard by the Land Valuation Appeal Tribunal? 

  • If no agreement can be reached following detailed discussions with the Department during the objection process, then a fee of $567 is payable in advance of the Land Valuation Appeal Tribunal hearing. 

Do I have to be represented by lawyer, agent etc. at the Land Valuation Appeal Tribunal or can I represent myself? 

  • No, you do not have to be represented.  In the majority of objection cases that go before the Tribunal, the Objectors usually represent themselves. Typically, it is the high profile/high value properties where the Objector will normally choose to be represented by a lawyer, an agent etc.