Exemption from duty when moving to Bermuda

Returning residents and non-residents may be entitled to duty relief on their used personal and household goods under special circumstances.

If you are a returning resident you will need proof that you have been living overseas for more than one year.

If you are a first-time resident, you will need:

  • proof that you have permission to live in Bermuda (work permit, spousal letter etc.);
  • proof that your goods are older than six months if claiming relief.

If you are shipping your goods from overseas and claiming relief, you will need a copy of your Transfer of Residence Certificate.

You must ask a customs officer for this certificate at the airport, when you arrive to take up residence.  There is no fee for the certificate. This certificate is processed immediately.