Customs goods registration service

Customs provides an on-demand goods registration service for all importers and exporters.
You may want to register your goods with Customs for any number of reasons, such as:

  • Re-exportation of goods for repair or replacement under warranty (so you can claim duty relief )
  • Customs supervision of the destruction of goods (so you can apply for duty refund )
  • Customs examination of damaged goods (so you can ask for duty abatement )

How do I register my goods?

You may telephone Customs at (411) 295-4816 or send an email and ask to make an appointment to have your goods examined and registered by a customs officer on a Customs Goods Registration Form 52 (PDF).
You should be prepared to tell the officer the following:

  • Reason for registration
  • Name and address of the owner of the goods
  • Description of the goods
  • Name of the supplier
  • Date of importation
  • Bermuda Customs Declaration (BCD) number for the goods (if applicable)

If you are exporting goods, you must also tell the officer how the goods are to be exported (post, courier, air freight, ocean cargo) and the name and address of the consignee.

How much does it cost?

The fee for goods registration outside a customs area during normal business hours is $45 per hour.

If the goods examination takes place in a customs area during normal business hours there is no fee.

You can pay your fee using one of three customs payment options

Things you need to consider

The service is normally delivered on weekdays between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. and when officers are available.  If your goods are portable, you may make arrangements with the officer to bring your goods to the Hamilton Custom House for examination and registration. If that is not practical, the officer will arrange with you to examine and register your goods at some other suitable location.

If you are exporting registered goods you must present your goods to a Customs officer at the place of exportation (post office, prior to airport departures). The officer may then endorse your Customs Goods Registration Form 52 (PDF) to confirm that your goods have been exported.

Your completed form should be submitted with any application for duty relief, refund or abatement, as the case may be.