How to Raise a Concern about the Land Valuation Department

The Land Valuation Department strives to provide high-quality services to all of its customers and welcomes all suggestions to improve. If there are occasions when the team is unable to achieve this, a complaint may be justified and we seek to provide the public with an opportunity to reach us.  Please note this does not include queries or complaints about an assessment in the Valuation List, which can be dealt with by contacting the Land Valuation Department on 297-7964.

We view all complaints as an opportunity to learn and improve our services and procedures for the future, as well as a chance to put things right for the person who makes a complaint.

How to raise a concern with the Land Valuation Department

You can raise a concern with us about our work, staff, levels of service, and our legislative responsibilities.

Anyone who is using, or has used, our services or a member of the public can complain.  We do not accept third party complaints, but if you are unable to complain in person then an advocate may help you through the process.

It is important to raise the concern as soon as possible after the event.

A concern may be submitted in person, by phone, by email or in writing. If you speak to us, we may be able to resolve your concerns quickly and with a happy resolution.

We can help with complaints if someone thinks that there has been an administrative error and/or maladministration by the Department, including, but not limited to:

  • One’s rights have been denied
  • A mistake has been made (not related to the property assessment and valuation)
  • Unfair or improper treatment
  • Abuse of power by the Department
  • The Department has not followed its policies and processes

There are some complaints we are unable to handle, including those:

  • Where legal action has commenced against the Department
  • Internal personnel or human‐resource matters; the Government’s Discipline and Grievance policies apply in such cases
  • Regarding the valuation and assessment of a property

A concern may be submitted in person, by phone, by email or in writing.

If you complain in person, telephone or email, please give us your contact information, a brief summary of your concern and any other necessary information, and the appropriate officer will contact you within 3 days to follow up.

If your complaint requires research, the officer will notify you of this and will provide you with either a resolution or an update within 21 days of your complaint.

For more information about our Complaints Policy please see our leaflet – 


If your concern is not addressed to your satisfaction

If you are unhappy with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Head of the Department, Ms. Diane Elliott, for a review. Where the complaint was handled by the Head of Department, the Internal Review will be handled by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry (PS).

The written complaint must include:

  • A clear description of why you are dissatisfied
  • A clear description of the outcome you are looking for
  • An email or mailing address for receiving information about your complaint
  • A signature by the complainant or their authorized agent

The Head of the Department (or PS) will acknowledge your complaint within 5 days of receipt, with information about:

  • Who is handling the complaint
  • Potential steps if there is an investigation
  • Estimated time for resolution
  • A copy of our Complaints Procedure

You will receive a resolution or an update on your concern within 21 days of receipt of the complaint.


If you are unsatisfied with the resolution from the Head of Department, you may submit an appeal to the Permanent Secretary.

Your appeal will be acknowledged within 5 days and the previous resolution will be reviewed.

A resolution will be provided within 21 days of receipt of the appeal.

Independent Review

If the Permanent Secretary handled the internal review of your complaint, or if you remain unsatisfied with our ability to address your concerns, you may take them to the Office of the Ombudsman.

Information about the kind of complaints the Ombudsman handles and how they are resolved can be found on their website