Any sports fishing vessel coming to Bermuda must apply for a licence from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The application should be submitted a week before arrival into Bermuda.
- All foreign sports fishing vessels must have a sports fishing vessel licence to fish in Bermuda waters.
- A Bermuda sports fishing vessel licence identification flag must be flown on the starboard side of the vessel whenever it is engaged in any fishing activities. (Flags must be returned to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources before departure from Bermuda.)
- Vessels may be inspected by officers of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources at any time.
- Sports fishing vessels may engage in offshore pelagic fishing only. Fishing on the Bermuda platform is not permitted at any time.
- Owners/operators are required to record and submit catch and release data on their fishing.
- The landing of any blue or white marlin must be reported to the Marine Management Section at (441) 705-3474 as soon as the fish has been boated so that the fish can be inspected by Fisheries Officers. However, efforts must be made to release all fish that are not of a size to be potential record breakers.
- Fish catches cannot be sold or bartered.
- A foreign sports fishing vessel licence does not permit a vessel to be chartered or offered for charter in Bermuda waters.
Operators of sports fishing vessels are encouraged to keep only as much fish as they can consume, and to release any additional fish.
A foreign sports fishing vessel licence costs $470.
Please submit your application for a foreign sports fishing vessel licence with the necessary fee to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Licencing Office at the Botanical Gardens, 169 South Road, Paget.
Payments can be made by cash, cheque or credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
- If paying by cheque please make payable to : The Accountant General
Payments can also be made by a wire transfer using these Wire Transfer Instructions (link to provided wire transfer instructions)