Apply for a construction permit and operating licence

To apply for a construction permit or operating licence for a controlled plant, you must complete the application and submit it with the appropriate fee.

How to apply for a construction permit and operation licences for a controlled plant

To complete this application, you will need to make sure you have the following information:

  • Agent mailing address and contact information
  • Details on proposed location of controlled plant
  • Details on the type of controlled plant
  • Information on electrical generators including

          -  Environmental Authority Operational Policy #9 – Backup Electrical Generators Emission levels and noise levels’  

          -  Backup Electrical Generator - Noise Pre-Consultation 

          -  Sound Level Modelling Guidance – Backup Electrical Generators  (for engineers, architectural companies, etc.) 

  • Information on sewage treatment plants including

          -  Environmental Authority Operational Policy #2 – Wastewater Disposal and Treatment 

It is recommended that you drop off the forms in person at the Department of Environment and Natural Resources at one of the following addresses:

Botanical Gardens 
169 South Road, Paget 
Bermuda DV 04


General Administraion Building 
30 Parliament St, Hamilton
Bermuda HM 12

You can pay the licencing clerks and they can check to see that all information is in order without otherwise causing delays to the process.

Construction permits must be advertised in the Official Gazette for potential objections and opportunities for rebuttal. The Department of the Environment and Natural Resources may also contact you for additional technical information.


These fees are in effect as of 1 April 2016:

  • Operating licence :$90 annually
  • Construction permit: $200