How to raise a concern about the Ministry of Youth, Culture and Sports

The Ministry of Youth, Culture and Sports (MYCS) team strives to provide high-quality services to all of its service users and welcomes all suggestions to improve. If there are occasions when the team is unable to achieve this, a complaint may be appropriate and we seek to provide the public with an opportunity to reach us.

We view complaints as an opportunity to learn and improve our services and procedures for the future, as well as a chance to put things right for the person who makes a complaint.

How to raise a concern with the Ministry of Youth, Culture and Sports

You can raise a concern with us about our work, staff, levels of service, and our legislative responsibilities.

Anyone who is using, or has used, MYCS services or a member of the public can complain. If you are unable to complain in person then an advocate may help you through the process.

It is important to raise the concern as soon as possible after the event.

A concern may be submitted in person, by form, by email or in writing. If you speak to us, we may be able to resolve your concerns quickly and with a happy resolution.

There are some complaints we are unable to handle, including those:

  • requiring investigation by a professional board, Quango, Board or Council
  • where legal action has commenced
  • involving internal personnel or human resource matters;
  • regarding internal operational support services for the MYCS, e.g. accounts

To raise a concern about a programme or service

A concern may be submitted in person, by form, by email or in writing.

Please ensure you direct your complaint to the appropriate department and programme.  This will allow us to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

You will be directed to the appropriate officer to handle your concern. If you leave a message with your contact information, a brief summary of your concern and any other necessary information, the officer will contact you within 3 days to follow up.

If your complaint requires research, the officer will notify you of this and will provide you with either a resolution or an update within 21 days of your complaint.

For more information about our Complaints Policy or if you are not sure which department or programme should review your concern, contact us on 294-9146.

If your concern is not addressed to your satisfaction

If you are unhappy with the resolution with the programme or service, you may submit a written complaint to the Head of Department. This should be the Department most closely associated with your complaint.

The written complaint must include:

  • a clear description of why you are dissatisfied
  • a clear description of the outcome you are looking for
  • an email or mailing address for receiving information about your complaint
  • a signature

The Head of the Department will acknowledge your complaint within five days of receipt, with information about:

  • who is handling the complaint
  • potential steps if there is an investigation
  • estimated time for resolution
  • a copy of our Complaints Procedure

You will receive a resolution or an update on your concern within 21 days of receipt of the complaint.

Contact Details for the Heads of Department

Make sure that you contact the officer closest to your concern first, rather than the Head of Department. The officer closest to your complaint will be in the best position to help.

The Head of the Department may ask the most appropriate officer to handle your complaint.


If you are unsatisfied with the resolution at any level, a written appeal may be submitted to the Head of the Department or the Permanent Secretary, depending on the officer who addressed it previously.

Your appeal will be acknowledged within five days and the previous resolution will be reviewed.

A resolution will be provided within 21 days of receipt of the appeal.

Independent Review

If you remain unsatisfied with our ability to address your concerns, you may take them to the Ombudsman.

Information about the kind of complaints the Ombudsman handles and how they are resolved can be found on their website at: