How to get financial assistance

The Government of Bermuda can provide financial assistance to Bermudians who cannot meet the cost of basic living or expenses. 

Assistance may be provided for:

  • Food
  • Rent (or other accommodations such as rest homes or nursing home fees)
  • Electricity/utilities
  • Health insurance (HIP or FutureCare)
  • Adult day care
  • Home care
  • Medication/medical equipment/medical supplies
  • Transportation
  • Laundry

How do I apply?

You will need to visit the Financial Assistance Office and meet with a Pre-Screen Clerk.  Pre-Screen is Monday – Thursday at 10 am – 12 noon and 2 pm – 4 pm. You will need to fill out paperwork to request financial assistance. No appointment is necessary.

You will need to bring:

  • Proof of Bermudian status; and
  • Picture ID (passport or voter’s registration card)

You may be required to complete the following forms:

  • Job search forms
  • Workforce Development application
  • Rent verification form
  • Medical form
  • Consent to Disclose and Verify Information form
  • Client Declaration form
  • Household Monthly Expense Form
  • Honesty Form

A list of mandatory items will be required (pay stubs, bank statements, current utility bills, etc.) along with any other information or forms that might be needed.

Do I qualify for financial assistance?

Once all the required information is provided, your file will be reviewed by a Pre-Screen Manager.  If approved, you will be given an appointment with one of the Financial Assistance Case Workers.

Your Case Worker will assess your basic monthly income as well as your expenses and discuss these items with you.  By the end of the appointment, your Case Worker will be able to inform you whether or not you will be eligible to receive a financial award.  A letter informing you of the decision will also be mailed to you.

If you do not agree with the assessment of the Case Worker, you can request a meeting with the Financial Assistance Manager to discuss your case.  If you are found ineligible to receive assistance, you can make a request, in writing, that your file be reviewed by the Director.  A written response will be mailed to you. 

How do I appeal a decision about financial assistance?

If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the Director, you may appeal the decision, in writing, to the Financial Assistance Review Board.

If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the Director, you may appeal the decision, in writing, to the Financial Assistance Review Board.

The letter to the Board must be sent within (30) thirty days of your receipt of the Director’s Letter.

The appeal letter must include:

  1. Your name and address
  2. An address (if different from above) where all documents about the appeal can be sent
  3. The Director’s decision
  4. Your statement for why you are appealing the Director’s decision

The written appeal must be sent to the Director and to the Chairman of the Financial Assistance Review Board.

The address for the Chairman is:

Chairman of the Financial Assistance Review Board,

PO Box HM 987,

Hamilton HM DX  

The Director can reply to your submission to the Board and you will receive a copy of this letter.


When the Board has received your appeal, within 30 days they will send you a notice of the date, time and place of the hearing.

You will have 10 days notice for the hearing.

The hearing will not be open to the public andyou will have the right to present you case first.

If you need to submit any written information or documentary evidence, this should be given to the Board ten days before the hearing.

The Board can call any witnesses they require for the appeal.

Hearing Decision

The Board will send a written decision to you and the Director within 15 days of the last day of the hearing.

The decision will include the findings of the Board.

If you withdraw your appeal, the Board will not be required to provide a decision. Your withdrawal will be considered the final decision.

All questions about the procedure can be directed to the Director, Department of Financial Assistance.