The Transport Control Department (TCD) is reminding the public of the motor vehicle licence plate guidelines outlined in the Motor Car (Examination, Licensing and Registration) Regulations 1952.
The TCD has reported an increase in personalized licence plates which are not in compliance with the legal plate specifications set out in the official specifications.
In most instances, offenders were not aware of the specifications. In other cases, offenders were aware of specifications and changed their licence plate to meet the legal criteria in order to pass their vehicle inspection test, after which, they replaced the plate with an illegal, self-expression licence plate.
Some self-expression licence plates contain cursive lettering and/or additional pictures and objects making them illegible or difficult to read. These licence plates are a matter of concern for the TCD as they present a safety hazard and are ultimately not in compliance with the law.
As a matter of road safety, it is imperative that all motorists ensure they are in compliance with the following:
- All motor vehicle licence plates must have white reflective background with black markings. This excludes loaner vehicle licence plates which have a yellow background with black markings and Rental Motor Cars which have a white reflective background and red markings.
- All letters or figures on licence plates should be of uniform size.
- Letters and figures should be seven-sixteenths of an inch broad and the total width of the space taken by any letter or figure, at least one and seven-sixteenth inches (Schedule, Section 2(4)b).
- The space between any two letters or any two figures shall be three-eighths of an inch, and the space between figures shall be one and five-eighths inches (Schedule, Section 2(4)
- There shall be a margin, between the nearest part of any letter or figure and the top, bottom or sides of the plate, of at least half an inch (Schedule, Section 2(4)e).
- No other figures or letters and no design, ornamentation or article shall be placed near to, over or upon any letters or figures on the licence plate.
- Only Personalized licence plates issued by the Transport Control Department are to be affixed to vehicles.
These guidelines are set forth as a matter of public safety.
TCD Traffic Officers will be out conducting routine checks to ensure motorists are in compliance with these regulations.
For additional information please contact the Transport Control Department at 292-1271.