This evening, the Minister of National Security, the Hon. Wayne Caines provided an update regarding the phased resumption of services at the Department of Immigration.
Minister Caines advised that an info guide outlining what services will be available from tomorrow, May 4 can be found on the government portal at www.gov.bm/coronavirus-resources. However the Minister provided a general update of what the Department will be engaged in during the first phase of its resumption of services.
Minister Caines said, “We are thankful for the patience of the public as we navigate through this difficult time as a country. We are also especially grateful for the efforts of all our staff in the Ministry of National Security who have continued to operate in some form during the Shelter in Place. From an operational stand point, the Department of Immigration will partially re-open tomorrow Monday May 4, observing strict social and physical distancing as outlined by the Ministry of Health. All staff will work in shifts in accordance with a defined work schedule:
- Operating Hours: 8.30 am to 5.00 pm.
- Public Gallery: The main Immigration offices on the 1st floor of the Government Administration Office will not be open to the public
- Communications: Immigration staff will communicate with customers via email and telephone.
- Appointments: If required, staff will arrange in person meetings with customers by appointment only, and both staff and customers must wear masks and gloves
- Drop Boxes: A Corporate Services Drop Box and a Personal Services Drop Box will be placed at the main entrance of the Government Administration Building. Applications submitted after 2:30pm will be recorded as received on the next business day.
- Mail Delivery: Documents will no longer be available for pick-up from the Collections Desk, but will be sent via mail beginning the week of May 4, 2020.
Passports and Other Applications:
- Emergency (for Medical only) Passport Applications – will be accepted starting at May 4, 2020; applicants must submit formal documentation in support of the medical emergency
- Expired Passports – the Department will advise when it be accepting applications for expired passports.
- New Passports (First-time Applicants) – the Department will advise when it will be accepting applications for new (first-time) passport applications.
- New Applications – The Department will not accept new applications during the period May 4-15, 2020. The Department will advise the public when it will be accepting new applications, by May 16, 2020.
Further information regarding visas, visitor extensions, work permits in general, including short term emergency work permits and C-Suite work permits can be found at www.gov.bm/coronavirus-resources.
As a final note, the Department of Immigration reminds that any immigration breaches should be reported via the Tip Line at 296-5202 or on the Department of Immigration Investigation Request Portal at https://www.doiapps.gov.bm/immigrationtips. Emailed information can be sent to Immigrationcomplaints@gov.bm.