At a brief ceremony held yesterday, the Minister of Home Affairs, the Hon. Patricia Gordon-Pamplin, JP, MP presented scholarship awards to the Department of Workforce Development 2016 scholarship recipients. The Ministry of Home Affairs awarded funding for 34 students studying at The Bermuda College and in overseas universities.
This year’s recipients are furthering their studies in Hospitality/ Culinary Arts, Health Care/ Nursing/ medicine, Construction/ Engineering/ Automotive, Business/ Mathematics, Cyber Security/ Forensics/ Counter Fraud and Marine Teaching. It should be noted that scholarships are contingent upon persons meeting the minimum GPA requirements of 2.67 locally and 2.7 for overseas (B- equivalent) per term/semester.
The Department offered funding in three categories, they are:
Overseas Funding - Up to $10,000.00 annually for tuition purposes only and may be provided for the initial length of the programme.
Local Funding - Full tuition per semester. Presented to persons to attend various local institutions.
Professional Development - Recipients are eligible to receive 50% of tuition up to, but not exceeding $5,000.00 for a maximum of one year. This Award remains open all year round and is for persons currently working and who are looking for some financial assistance towards their professional development.
Pictured with Minister Gordon-Pamplin are Work Force Development training officers and the scholarship recipients:
- Jahkia Bolin, Bermuda College, Associate in Science (Nursing)
- Jordan Johnson, Bermuda College, Associate of Science (Computer Information Systems)
- Theresa-Lynn Santucci, Bermuda College, Associate in Science (Nursing)
- Tryrone Pedro, Bermuda College, Diploma in Culinary Arts
- Olievia Martins, Bermuda College, Associate in Science (Nursing)
- Angela Sweeting, Bermuda College, Associate in Science (Nursing)
- Shanae Seaman, Bermuda College, Associate in Science (Nursing)
- Jahru Edmead, Bermuda College, Associate of Arts
- Jaidah Bailey, University of Nevada Las Vegas, BSc in Hospitality Management
- Keri Brangman, New England Institute of Technology, Associate Degree in Surgical Technology (CST)
- Tabia Butterfield, Seneca College, Ontario College Advanced Diploma
- Justine Dzofonoo-Burch, New England Institute of Technology,Bachelors in Cyber Security & Network Engineering
- Erin Greig, Warsash Academy, OOW Unlimited Honors in Nautical Science
- Wesley Hall, University of the West Indies, Master of Arts in Teaching
- Niambi Landy-Philpott , Acadia University, BSc. (Mathematics and Statistics)
- Cholae Martin, University of Nottingham, MPharm
- Comori Matthew, New England Institute of Technology,Mechanical Engineering
- Kobe Richardson, Purdue University Building Construction Management/Field Engineer
- Sajni Richardson, Johnson & Wales University, Culinary Arts & Food Service Management
- Jessica Richardson, Loughborough University, Mathematics Education
- Ezzarha Shakir, Oxford Brookes University, Nursing
- Ranisha Simmons, Mount Saint Vincent University, Bachelor of Business
- Alexis Smith, Leeds Beckett University, BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics and Security
- Vernon Symonds-Dill, Niagara College, Mechnical Engineering Technology (Co-Op)
- Shiloh Todd, Johnson & Wales University, Bachelor Degree in Restaurant Management
- Janay Trott, Keele University, MPharm
- Kayla Williams, International Culinary Institute of Switzerland, BA (Hon) Culinary Arts
- Stephanie Wright, Sheffield Hallam University, BSc. in Nursing
- Shaunte' Young, Mercy College, Bachelor of Science in Veterinary Technology
- Kenneth Bartram, University Portsmith, BA Security Management
- Murrinda Bailey, Bermuda College, Nursing
- Jahru Edmead, Bermuda College, Assoc. Arts
- Kyrstal Foote, Bermuda College, Nursing
- Najah Garcia, Bermuda College, Nursing