The Department of Education was made aware of a list of ongoing concerns from Dellwood Middle School staff on Thursday, 3 October, 2019. Concerns expressed related to staffing, instructional areas, supplies, IT and the physical facility.
Upon receipt of these concerns on Thursday afternoon, the Department of Education made Dellwood a priority and mobilized their staff to address the concerns identified by teachers at the school starting Friday, 4 October, 2019.
The Department was notified today, Tuesday, 8 October, that staff sent a letter last evening stating that they are working-to-rule. The Department is currently waiting for official notification from the Principal indicating the reasons for the work-to-rule as many of the concerns have been resolved.
Please see concerns outlined on 3 October, 2019 by Dellwood staff along with steps taken by the Department of Education to address the concerns, below:
- Dellwood Middle School has a complement of 67 staff and is presently awaiting 3 identified teachers to fill positions for art, math and social studies. It is expected that that the identified teachers will commence their posts by the end of October 2019. Teachers have expressed concerns that they have had to cover the classes for these teachers. In the interim, the Department of Education is working with the Principal to provide short-term substitute teachers for these positions.
- Dellwood staff have expressed concerns that some teachers have to share classrooms. The Principal and Department of Education staff are actively working towards a solution. The Department of Education has assigned staff to the school to assist.
- Dellwood teachers expressed concerns about not having enough exercise books. Department of Education staff delivered exercise books to the school on 6 September, 2019 and again on 2 October, 2019.
- IT issues identified at the school included printers being off line, no internet access, and no access to computers. IT matters are currently being addressed by the Department of Education IT staff. Further, the school requested an additional photocopier and one was delivered to, and set up at the school on Monday, 7 October, 2019. Concerns about the phone system were addressed after a new phone system was installed over the weekend, as per a pre-arranged schedule. The Department of Education has assigned a dedicated IT Technician solely to support the school and to resolve any outstanding issues.
- The Dellwood facility sustained some physical damage as a result of Hurricane Humberto. Works and Engineering staff and external vendors have been on site since Friday, 4 October, 2019 to rectify issues. Significant progress has been made with addressing the physical plant matters.
The Department of Education staff will continue to work in concert with the Principal to rectify all identified issues at the school.
The Department reaffirms that its primary goal is to provide a safe, productive environment for teaching and learning.