Career Jumpstart Programme
What is the Cabinet Office Career Jumpstart Programme?
This is an internship programme designed to provide recent graduates with relevant and meaningful work experience in a supervised setting. This experience can be built upon for substantive future employment in either the private or public sector. Interns will learn first hand about the operations of the Cabinet Office. They will work in areas to include: the Office of the Premier, the Protocol Office, Cabinet Office Administration, the Central Policy Unit (CPU) and the Sustainable Development Unit (SDU).
In addition, interns will have the opportunity to work in different Government Departments based upon Government need and intern career interest.
What are some of the duties the intern will be assigned?
Under the general direction of the Secretary to the Cabinet, Interns will be assigned to work within various units under the mentorship of Cabinet Office staff. Duties may include:
• Providing administrative assistance to the Cabinet Office administrative staff;
• Managing small projects;
• Participating in the policy making process;
• Assisting in identifying and addressing unique and emerging issues as they relate to the Government and Bermuda;
• Providing input in drafting policies of national importance;
• Assisting with organising functions hosted by the Cabinet Office;
• Organising and participating in public meetings and discussions;
• Making presentations to Government Departments;
• Preparing written correspondence; and
• Shadowing the Premier and the Secretary to the Cabinet when required.
Who is eligible for the programme?
• be Bermudian, and be able to provide proof of Bermuda status;
• have graduated from a college or university within the last two years;
• have a keen interest in public administration;
• be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
• be computer literate with experience using MS Word, Excel and Power Point; and
• be willing to work in a team setting as well as independently.
How many interns will be hired?
The programme will consist of four (4) internship posts.
How long is an internship awarded?
The programme is for a twelve (12) month period.
What are the work requirements?
Interns will be required to work a 7 hour day, five day week. Interns will be expected to work up until the agreed completion date.
What are the responsibilities of the Cabinet Office to the Intern?
Interns will be provided with meaningful work experience. They will be paid as trainees at $4,809.27 per month and will receive full benefits.
Interns will be appraised during their internship at regular intervals. Upon completion, they will receive a formal reference letter from the Secretary to the Cabinet based on their appraisals.
Where should I send my application?
Interested persons should send their completed application quoting the appropriate reference number stated on the advertisement together with copies of academic/professional qualifications and proof of citizenship to:
Public Service Commission
The Department of Human Resources
43 Church Street
Hamilton HM 12
Applications from overseas can be faxed to HR at 441-295-2858. All applications must be submitted before the closing period specified on the job advertisement.