COVID-19 has bought about unprecedented changes to communities around the world and Bermuda has not been excluded. In light of these changes, business owners and managers have several questions on what business operations should look like in the post COVID-19 environment. In addition to preserving business operations to ensure economic viability, the protection of employee health and safety is paramount. Legal obligations under Bermuda’s Occupational Safety & Health legislation require this of every employer.
In light of this, the following recommendations are provided to assist employers in establishing workplace protocols to protect employee health and safety when returning to work after COVID-19.
Now that mandatory work from home has ended, business leaders must do their due diligence to ensure that employees are adequately protected when returning to work. Specifically, protocols must be in place to protect workers if select employees display symptoms of COVID-19, have been identified as a known or suspected COVID-19 case, or have been on close physical contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 case.
This online training covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19 and similar type diseases. Training should be provided for all employees and management on Infection Prevention & Control. As a result the Department of Health, has produced the following mandatory training course.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Guidance for Workplaces
The information below are helpful flyers that can be printed and used in your employment setting for education and awareness. Please click on the link and the flyers will open in a new page for printing.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements for possible occupational exposures to COVID-19 – Low risk and High Risk Settings
- For a tradesperson
- Returning to the Office
- For construction, mechanical or landscaping
- For customer service
- For warehouses
- An autodealer or mechanic shop
Additional guidance and directions are provided below:
Food Service Establishments
- Guidance for Food Service Industry during COVID-19
- Food Business Re-opening Checklist
- Guidance for Takeout and Delivery Food Service
- Directions on Outdoor Dining as provided for by the Emergency Powers (COVID-19 Continuing Precautions) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2020
Housing, hotels and Airbnbs
Occupational Safety and Health
- Cleaning & Disinfection of Community Facilities WITHOUT known or suspected cases
- Cleaning & Disinfection of Community Facilities WITH known or suspected cases
- Occupational Safety and Health Guidance for Employers during COVID-19
Retail and Personal Services
- Directions for Retail Stores on the requirements of the Emergency Powers (COVID-19 Continuing Precautions) Amendment (No. 2) Regulations 2020 (Being Updated)
- Directions for Persons Services - Limited Operation of Beauty, Hair and Barber Shops
- Guidance for Transportation Operators (Being Updated)