If you have a Permanent Resident’s Certificate (PRC), you have the right to live and work in Bermuda and to purchase Bermuda property with a lower Annual Rental Value (ARV) .
Under Section 31A , you may apply to the Minister of Immigration for a PRC if:
- you were a resident in Bermuda on or before 31 July 1989;
- you have been a resident in Bermuda for a period of 20 years;
- you were a resident in Bermuda for a period of two years immediately preceding your application;
- you are, at the date of your application, at least 40 years old; and
- you apply before 1 August 2010.
Under Section 31B , you may also apply to the Minister for a PRC if you are:
- the brother or sister of a person who has Status, but you do not qualify for Status;
- the natural parent of a person who possesses Status, but you do not qualify for Status;
- the brother or sister of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A , but you do not otherwise qualify for such grant;
- the natural parent of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A, but you do not otherwise qualify for such grant;
- you are the son or daughter of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A, and you are above the upper limit of compulsory school age; or
- you are the spouse of a person who has been granted a PRC under Section 31A, but you do not qualify for the grant of a PRC or Status.
You must submit the following key documents:
- Completed application form
- Required fee
- Two passport photos
- Certified copies of your valid passport (or birth certificate)
- A letter of support from two sponsors
If you are applying under Section 31A , you must also submit:
- Character references from two sponsors
- A letter from the employer and letter from a professional person attesting to support your residence for ten years
- A copy of your exemption certificate and, if counting any period between 1 January 2002 and 1 January 2012, a copy of each company’s certificate(s) that identifies the date from when each company was assessed as having met the criteria identified in Section 3B of the Economic Development Act 1968
- A letter from each eligible employer or employers confirming that you worked for them during the relevant eligibility period.
If you are applying under Section 31B , you must also submit:
- Proof of residence in Bermuda for 10 years (e.g. letter from schools, employers and a letter from a professional person attesting to your 10 years’ residence)
- Proof of relationship to child, spouse (whichever applies to your specific application), including long form birth/marriage/adoption certificates or deed poll (if name has been changed). Proof is also required of these persons’ Permanent Resident’s Certificate as specified in the form.
Other documentation to support your application might be required.
On application for a permanent resident's certificate under section 31B to
A person who possesses a working resident's certificate
Any other person
How to apply
To apply for a Permanent Resident’s Certificate you must complete the application below.