• The Ministry of Public Works is advising that effective August 6, 2018, Blackwatch Pass will be closed to traffic so that construction works can be conducted. The closure will be for an extended period of time. While Blackwatch Pass is closed the public is encouraged to seek alternative routes to avoid delays.


  • The Ministry of Transport and Regulatory Affairs is advising that beginning Friday, August 10 the Central Bus Terminal ticket kiosk in Hamilton will operate on an amended schedule. Read more

Care Home registration and inspection

Accommodations that provide room, board and personal care services to seniors or persons with disabilities must be registered with the Ministry of Health, unless exempted.

Ageing and Disability Services (ADS) is responsible for regulating residential care homes and nursing homes (care homes) with oversight of the Chief Medical Officer.  Regulation includes overseeing the registration process and ensuring the homes comply with the Residential Care Homes and Nursing Homes Act 1999 and Regulations 2001 and the Code of Practice which includes:

  1. Reviewing initial applications and coordinating the registration process across multiple government departments.
  2. Coordinating and conducting annual inspections.
  3. Receiving and investigating complaints about non-compliance and quality of care concerns.
  4. Working with care home administrators to improve standards of care within the homes.

To register as a nursing home or residential care home, please contact the ADS Coordinator at 292-7802 or

Find a Care Home:

Registered Care Homes Listing - includes contact information, care home type and costs and the Map of Registered Care Homes provides a quick glance at the locations.

Care Home Registration Status – includes registration status

How to make a complaint about a care home

ADS' Care Homes Complaints Policy and Procedure provides more information on the processes for addressing your complaints. In brief, complaints can be made by:

  • Email:
  • Telephone: 278-4902
  • Mail or in person to the ADS office: ADS, Ministry of Health, Continental Building, 25 Church Street, Hamilton HM 12.

Complete the Complaint Form with the following information:

  • Specific details about the event/issue (e.g. persons involved, the risk or impact of actions etc)
  • The date when the event/issue occurred or identified,
  • An overview of any communication with the care home regarding the event/issue;
  • Contact information- if you want to receive follow up regarding your complaint

Government Care Homes

For information about the Government Care homes visit: Sylvia Richardson Care Facility or the Lefroy House Care Community.