Accommodations that provide room, board and personal care services to seniors or persons with disabilities must be registered with the Ministry of Health, unless exempted.
Ageing and Disability Services (ADS) is responsible for regulating residential care homes and nursing homes (care homes) with oversight of the Chief Medical Officer. Regulation includes overseeing the registration process and ensuring the homes comply with the Residential Care Homes and Nursing Homes Act 1999 and Regulations 2001, which includes:
- Reviewing initial applications and coordinating the registration process across multiple government departments.
- Coordinating and conducting annual inspections.
- Receiving and investigating complaints about non-compliance and quality of care concerns.
- Working with care home administrators to improve standards of care within the homes.
To register as a nursing home or residential care home, please contact the ADS Coordinator at 292-7802 or email@example.com
Find a Care Home:
Care Home Registration Status – includes registration status
How to make a complaint about a care home
ADS' Care Homes Complaints Policy and Procedure provides more information on the processes for addressing your complaints. In brief, complaints can be made by:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 278-4902
- Mail or in person to the ADS office: ADS, Ministry of Health, Continental Building, 25 Church Street, Hamilton HM 12.
Complete the Complaint Form with the following information:
- Specific details about the event/issue (e.g. persons involved, the risk or impact of actions etc)
- The date when the event/issue occurred or identified,
- An overview of any communication with the care home regarding the event/issue;
- Contact information- if you want to receive follow up regarding your complaint
Government Care Homes
For information about the Government Care homes visit: Sylvia Richardson Care Facility or the Lefroy House Care Community.