The Health Insurance Department is responsible for the operation and management of:
- The Health Insurance Plan
- The FutureCare Plan
- The Mutual Reinsurance Fund
- The Government Subsidy Program
We are a licensed insurer, a reinsurer and a third party administrator for the Government’s healthcare subsidies. We are a Government Department under the Ministry of Health with the commercial functions of managing insurance products.
Our mandate is:
- To provide affordable health insurance to Bermuda.
We achieve this vision through our Mission Statement:
- To provide superior operational management of our health insurance products through customer focus, stakeholder engagement, affordable plan and coordination of benefits.
Our governing legislation is the Health Insurance Act 1970. HID is managed by the Health Insurance Committee, a Government Board appointed by the Minister of Health. We are regulated by the Bermuda Health Council.
We are located at:
The Health Insurance Department HID does not manage GEHI, which is Government’s own self-insured health scheme. GEHI is a separate entity under the Accountant General’s Department, in the Ministry of Finance, with its own legislation.
2nd Floor Sofia House,
48 Church Street, Hamilton
Bermuda HM 12