Welcome to the Department of Planning
The mission of the Department of Planning is to provide a high quality and equitable planning service, and to effectively manage the Island’s built environment and natural resources in a way that best secures a sustainable level of development that meets the needs of the community.
The Department is responsible for controlling and regulating the development of Bermuda’s scarce land resources in order to ensure its optimum use. Closely related to this stewardship is also the responsibility to protect and preserve the Island’s natural beauty by way of the development and implementation of policies related to the effective management of our natural resources.
The main responsibilities of the Department of Planning are defined in the Development and Planning Act 1974 and the Building Act 1998. These include:
- preparation of development plans;
- management of all development on the island through a system of development control;
- monitoring and enforcement of planning control;
- management of all building activity through a building permit system; and
- enforcement of the relevant building codes.
Department of Planning Website